Dark lips is due to several reasons and factors, including each of the following:
• A change in the level of hormones in the body, such as thyroid hormones that cause pigmentation.
• Using poorly manufactured cosmetic or therapeutic products, or using expired products.
• The presence of sensitivity in the lips to some substances that are used in moisturizing or treating them.
• Constant and regular exposure to sunlight, as harmful sun rays cause lip color and dark spots to appear around them, due to the increased secretion of melanin in the skin when exposed to sunlight to protect it from harmful rays.
• Smoking, which affects the skin and causes dehydration, in addition to lip blackening, which is one of the most negative effects of smoking, due to the presence of nicotine and benzpene that increase the production of melanin in the skin.
• Excessive drinking of tea and coffee, which is high in caffeine.
• Dry lips due to the lack of drinking water, which causes the lips to change color and exfoliate, so it is important to drink more fluids and eat foods rich in fluids as well.
• Licking lips constantly. Low levels of vitamin B to certain limits lead to discoloration of the skin.
Treating dark lips can be eliminated through several possible treatments, and they include all of the following:
• Using lip sunscreens, to reduce exposure to sunlight, especially at noon.
• Use olive oil daily on the lips and leave the oil on them until the lips absorb it.
• Drink plenty of water and other fluids with at least 8 cups a day to avoid dehydration, because the lips are one of the first areas affected by dehydration. Use a mixture of honey and lemon juice on the lips to help restore the natural colour.
• Peeling the lips once a week, using olive oil and sugar.
• Quit smoking
If none of the above solutions work, then lips peeling and pinking at Ram Clinics in Khobar will help you get rid of dark lips.