fbpx

Hajj & Corona

Hajj & Corona

Hajj & Corona

The Saudi Press Agency

said today (June 22, 2020) in a statement that the Kingdom decided to establish a pilgrimage

this year in very limited numbers for citizens and various nationalities within the Kingdom,

in order to control the outbreak of the new .

The statement said that the decision came

in light of “the continuing risks of this pandemic and the lack of vaccine and treatment for people infected

with the virus around the world and to maintain global health security,

especially with the high rate of infections in most countries

and the seriousness of the spread of infection and injury in human settlements

that make it difficult to provide a safe spacing between Its personnel. “

And she added that the decision “was taken to ensure the establishment of the ritual in a safe and healthy way,

in a way that meets the requirements for prevention and social separation necessary to ensure the safety and protection of the human being from the threats of this pandemic,

and to achieve the purposes of Islamic law in preserving the human soul.”

The pilgrimage, which will take place in late July,

is one of the main pillars of Islam,

but it is a possible major focus for the spread of infection

because millions of pilgrims from around the world flow to the crowded religious sites in the holy city of Mecca to perform the rituals.

Hajj & Corona

 

The decision came after Saudi Arabia suspended Umrah in March due to fears of the spread of the virus in the holiest Islamic city. The decision to proceed in small numbers disappoints the millions of Muslims who often spend their savings traveling on pilgrimage, and some wait for many years until they obtain approval from their own and the Saudi authorities for the Hajj.

Sources say that in Saudi hospitals, the intensive care family is rapidly filling up with an increasing number of injured health workers. So far, Saudi Arabia has recorded more than 161,000 cases, while the number of deaths exceeded 1,300.

Hajj & Corona

And the decision to limit the numbers of pilgrims was issued at a sensitive time for the Kingdom

as the oil state is struggling with low crude prices that have reduced revenues

as the world prepares for an economic recession due to measures to reduce the Corona virus.

Authorities closed Mecca and Medina for weeks due to concerns,

and imposed a curfew in many areas before lifting it fully two days ago.

And spread on social media photos and recordings showed the Kaaba

in the middle of the mosque’s courtyard on a single white floor surrounded by plastic obstacles,

along with a group of security personnel and cleaners.

Despite the seriousness of the threat of the epidemic,

the issue may be like a powder keg, as the decision may cause the ire of militants

who are calling for the continuation of visiting holy sites despite the health risks.

In addition to declining oil revenues,

the kingdom is losing billions of dollars that it usually earns annually from religious tourism.

About 2.5 million people traveled to Saudi Arabia from all over the world in 2019 for the Hajj,

the duty that all Muslims must perform at least once in their lives if they are able to.

Leave a Comment

(0 Comments)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Book Now