Hearing is one of the most important senses that facilitate the child’s social communication and enhance his interaction and activity between people, allowing him to establish relationships and participate in various daily activities, and pay attention to and engage in daily risks and events, and there is no doubt that the poor hearing in children leads to not respond to the normal sound, not to hear life alarms such as a doorbell, or a phone ringtone, they also weaken their ability to talk and speak to others.
Causes of hearing loss in children include:
Otitis media often occurs in young children because the tubes connecting the middle ear to the nose, called Eustachian tube, are not fully formed, the fluid builds up behind the eardrum and can become infected.
Problems at birth some babies are born with hearing problems, most often related to the child’s genes, while at other times, this occurs during pregnancy or from prenatal care, hearing loss can also occur when a pregnant woman has a medical condition such as diabetes or pregnancy poisoning, p A premature baby is also at greater risk.
Levels of hearing loss in children
• Normal: Human hears a low sound up to 20 decibels.
• Light hearing loss: When a person cannot hear whispers or speech from a distant source, i.e. up to 25-40 decibels.
• Moderate hearing impairment: A person is considered to have moderate hearing impairment if he or she can understand speech when looking at the speaker’s face, or hear nearby speech as whispers of 40-55 decibels.
• He heard average intensity: if he could understand the loud sound, and had speech disorders, he would have twice the average intensity of 56-70 decibels.
• Deep hearing impairment: When he hears loud sounds but does not feel the vibrations of sounds, he suffers from a linguistic deficit and needs sign language to communicate with others, i.e. 91 decibels and more.
Treatment of hearing loss in children is divided into two bites:
Medical treatment is used in the following cases:
Connective hearing loss: If it is caused by inflammation, inflammation is treated by ear cleaning if it is caused by the accumulation of a substance called the glue in the ear, and headphones may be used according to the degree of hearing loss.
Sensory hearing loss: The stethoscope is placed if it is a simple or moderate sensory hearing impairment in the ears, but if it is above average, a cochlear implant is implanted that transmits sound waves and turns them into vibrations until they pass on to the auditory nerve.
Mixed hearing loss: Treated either with medication, surgery, or hearing aids.
Rehabilitation of hearing loss
When placing the speaker for the hearing impaired child must be rehabilitated and trained so that he can hear well, so specialists develop a treatment plan to rehabilitate the child and strengthen his hearing as follows: identify the presence of sound or not: such as responding to the sound of the whistle and putting a cube in a box to express the sound, and if he hears the sound twice put two cubes In the box, and so on. Discrimination: To distinguish sounds in terms of similarity and difference. Identification: For example, a doctor calls a grape name and the child points to the image of grapes. Cognition: that is, the child is able to understand and answer the questions addressed to him.